“Minors in the game platform recharge, contact Apple will not refund.”
“As an APP development platform, we charge users no service charge for virtual recharge on Android phones, while Apple charges 30% service charge for virtual recharge. This has led to complaints from users that we have stolen big data and charged different fees on Apple phones and Android phones.”
“If you recharge a member with the same account, you can charge more with Apple than Android.”
A reporter from the Beijing News noted that since 2017, disputes about the “Apple tax” have frequently appeared on social media platforms and news reports. Apple takes a 15 to 30 per cent commission on the sales of virtual goods within developers’ apps, known in the industry as the “Apple tax”, which is ultimately paid by consumers.
In 2017, WeChat shut down the rewards feature after Apple failed to negotiate a 30 percent rebate. At that time, there were also Toutiao, Zhihu, Inke platform and so on. Apple’s “Apple Developer Agreement” on its website states that “worldwide payment processing is handled by Apple” and “70% of all sales are kept by the developer.”
Apple has not changed the rules over the years, and its mobile phone users must download software through the App Store and Pay with Apple Pay, which has led to a number of domestic and foreign users and software developers to Sue Apple for alleged monopoly. A number of states in the United States are trying to legislate for users to use third-party payment platforms and download channels. European Union lawmakers are also considering whether Apple has a monopoly on its phones; China’s Shanghai Intellectual Property Court accepted a monopoly dispute between Apple Inc. and customers in February, and has registered the case.
Beijing news reporters found that experience Apple mobile phone users to buy virtual goods prices generally higher than that of the android mobile phone users, the platform and a number of the personnel of the service, said the cause of the difference is that Apple mobile phone users only through their own payment platform, Apple Pay Pay, during this time the company will charge a certain percentage.
Several iPhone users told the Beijing News that they are having trouble refunding their iPhone charges. China’s law clearly stipulates that online game payments by minors can be refunded. However, Xiao Ye, who has been in this situation, said that for virtual goods refunded through Apple Pay, Apple has to launch a refund, but after the game company promised a refund, Apple has not processed the refund because it is not in compliance with the regulations.
Netizens have complained about the iPhone charging service fees during the recharge process and the difficulty in refunding
Among the numerous complaints about the iPhone, the most common ones are “charging service fees for top ups”, “difficulty in refunding fees”, “virtual goods selling at higher prices than Android”, and “automatic renewals cannot suspend the deduction and refund”. Among them, the Black Cat complaint platform alone has more than 21,000 related questions.
Black Cat Complaints is a third-party consumer service platform. After reviewing and approving the complaints, the complaints are transferred to the company being complained about. The platform will update the progress of “Replied” and “Completed”. Complaints against Apple on the Black Cat platform have not been answered since the launch of the platform in 2018.
A woman surnamed Jia in Yuncheng, Shanxi province, told the Beijing News that on January 16, her 12-year-old child used his phone to top up a game App called “My Tom Cat” with hundreds of yuan. She then called Apple’s official customer service to request a refund. But both attempts failed, with Apple telling her that customers needed to go directly to the game company to get their money back.
Jia then contacted My Tom Cat (Guangzhou Jinke Culture and Technology Co.), which said its game was listed on Apple and that Apple would charge a 30 percent fee for recharging the game. The game company can only refund 70% of the fee, and the remaining 30% needs to communicate with Apple for a refund.
At the request of the game company, Ms. Jia provided the top up vouchers, and in order to prove that the consumption was by minors, she also took photos of the children, household registration book information, etc. After the review, the game company promises that 70% of the recharge amount will be returned to the account within 15 days.
As for the 30% that should be returned by Apple, Ms. Jia contacted the official customer service of Apple again, but she got the reply that she could not return the 30% and needed to ask the game company for a refund.
Jia posted her refund experience on the complaint platform Black Cat, as well as on Weibo, Zhihu and Douyin, and sent private messages to the official accounts of two companies. After noticing Jia’s complaint on the online platform, Apple voluntarily called to deal with it. “After Apple’s customer service asked the child’s age and other basic information, they promised a full refund.”
Apple refunded 30 percent of the money to Jia’s account on February 24, and the game company refunded the remaining 70 percent on February 25, more than a month after Jia complained.
In net friend lobular told the Beijing news reporter, her children play games on February 25, 26, prepaid phone 4936 yuan, on February 27, their found that apply to the company for a refund, after the second day apple said reply does not conform to the stipulations of the refund, need to find the game, the game company review through and agree to a refund, but said a refund need to apple, apple has yet to deal with.